The mission of the Weber County Attorney’s Office is to uphold the public’s trust in the pursuit of justice and enforcement of the law.
Christopher F. Allred Weber County Attorney Chris became the Weber County Attorney on January 5, 2015. Chris began his legal career with the Weber County Attorney’s Office in May of 1996. Chris has a Bachelor’s Degree from Weber State University and a J.D. from Brigham Young University College of Law. He lives with his wife and 3 children in South Ogden.
What We Do
The Weber County Attorney is an elected official with a four-year term of office. The Weber County Attorney is independent of the Utah Attorney General.
The Weber County Attorney's office is responsible for a wide array of legal functions for Weber County, some of which include:
- Chief law enforcement official in the County.
- Reviews, authorizes and prosecutes violations of felony and class A misdemeanor criminal laws of the State of Utah (and County ordinances) committed inside the County. The primary law enforcement agencies include the Weber County Sheriff’s Office, Ogden Police Department, South Ogden Police Department, North Ogden Police Department, Weber State University Police Department, Riverdale Police Department, Plain City Police Department, Harrisville Police Department, the Utah Highway Patrol and the Weber/Morgan Narcotic Strike Force.
- Analyzes and prosecutes felony & misdemeanor juvenile delinquency offenses.
- Represents the County in criminal matters before the Second District Court for Weber County, the Weber County Justice Court, the Second District Juvenile Court for Weber County, and on appeals in the Utah Court of Appeals and Utah Supreme Court.
- Represents and advises the County Commissioners and other County departments on legal matters.
- The County Attorney’s Office is a participating member of the Domestic Violence Coalition which works with numerous community partners to eliminate domestic violence and provide services and support for the victims of domestic violence.
- The County Attorney’s Office works closely with the Children’s Justice Center to protect children who are victims of abuse and neglect.
The Criminal Division of the Weber County Attorney’s Office works to protect the public safety from those who endanger, threaten and degrade the security of the community and to serve the public by protecting the personal rights of the people of Weber County to life, liberty, and security. We enforce the criminal laws of the State of Utah by prosecuting cases aggressively and efficiently in a manner that maximizes public safety and minimizes victimization by creating an environment where victims are treated with dignity, compassion and respect, and by securing for crime victims the treatment to which they are entitled by law and the basic tenets of human decency.
The Civil Division of the Weber County Attorney’s Office serves the public by fostering ethical, effective, and efficient government by providing the highest quality legal advice and representation possible to the County Commission and County Departments.
The Weber County Attorney’s Office has a victim assistance unit whose primary responsibility is to assist victims through the difficult and sometimes confusing legal proceedings. Our victim assistance unit works hard to make sure victims are treated with dignity and respect and helps secure treatment and the restitution victims are entitled to.