Clerk/Auditor - Marriage License

  • Home
    • » Marriage License
The Clerk/Auditor can process your marriage application:
Monday through Friday (except holidays)
8:00a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
No appointment necessary
When is the best time to come into the Clerk/Auditor’s office?

  How do I apply for a marriage license?

Both applicants must appear at the County Clerk / Auditor’s Office and complete the application form. You can either print the form, or we have blank forms in our office that you can fill out.

Bring photo identification with proof of age. (Examples include: identification card, driver’s license, passport, etc.) You do not need to bring a birth certificate.

If one of the parties absolutely cannot be present, please see Can't Apply In Person?

  How much does a license cost?

The fee is $30.00 and includes one certified copy, which will be mailed to the couple after the marriage is solemnized and the license has been returned to us. This fee is non-refundable, even if the marriage does not take place or the license expires before it is used.

We can accept cash, check, and credit card (except American Express) for payment.

Applicants may also donate $10.00 to help support the operation of shelters for victims of domestic violence. This fee is optional and does not affect the applicants’ ability to receive a marriage license.

  Are there any restrictions?

A marriage license issued in Weber County is valid throughout the State of Utah.

A marriage license can be used immediately (there is no waiting period), but is only valid for 30 days from the date of issue. If your license expires unused, you will need to get a new license, including paying the $30 fee again.

The person solemnizing the marriage must return the license to the Weber County Clerk/Auditor’s Office within 30 days of the ceremony. If the license is unused or expires, it still needs to be returned to our office.

  How do I change my name?

We do not handle name changes through our office. We will send you a certified copy of your marriage license, which should be sufficient proof of your marriage to any government agency. Name changes are typically handled by the Social Security Administration and the Driver’s License Division.

For more information on changing your name through the Social Security Administration, please call 877-378-9081. The Social Security Office is located in the Federal Building at 324 25th Street Ogden, UT 84401.

For information on changing your name through the Driver’s License Division, please call 801-965-4437 or 888-353-4224. The Driver’s License Division is located at 615 E 5300 S South Ogden, UT 84403.

  Who may perform marriages?

The authority to solemnize marriages is governed by Utah Code 30-1-6. The following list is a summary of the code:

  • Ministers, Rabbis, or Priests of any religious denomination who are in regular communion with any religious society, and are 18 years of age or older.
  • Native American spiritual advisors
  • The Governor
  • Mayors of Municipalities
  • Justice Court Judges
  • A Judge or Commissioner of a court of record
  • The County Clerk, if the clerk chooses to solemnize marriages.
  • Any person designated by the County Clerk
  • The president of the Senate
  • The speaker of the House of Representatives
  • Judges or magistrates of the United States
  • A judge or magistrate who holds office in Utah when retired, under rules set by the Supreme Court.

  Officials who perform marriages

If you need someone to officiate at your marriage, the following individuals may be available to perform your wedding ceremony. Please contact them directly to discuss scheduling and fees for the ceremony.

If you would like someone to officiate your ceremony who is not currently authorized to perform a marriage ceremony, please see the page Want to Officiate a Wedding?

  Age Requirements

If you are 18 years of age or older, simply provide identification with legal proof of age.

If you are at least 16 years of age, your parents or legal guardians must sign a consent form at the Clerk/Auditor’s Office with an oath of affirmation to the Clerk. However, if your parents are divorced, consent must be given by the parent having legal custody.

If you are 15 years of age, you must obtain a written authorization to marry from a judge of the juvenile court by completing the form provided by the Weber County Clerk/Auditor’s Office.

  I need an additional certified copy of a marriage license.

If you need a copy of a marriage license, please see our page about Getting a Copy of a Marriage License.