Securing your rights to liberty and the pursuit of happiness
John Adams wrote to his son that public service “must always be done by somebody or other. If wise men decline it, others will not; if honest men refuse it, others will not.
In 2003, whether wise or not, Ricky decided to be more involved in government than just as an informed voter, and has enjoyed learning and implementing the principles of our Founding Fathers in various capacities ever since. He has served in local, county, and state positons in the Weber County and Utah State Republican Party. He served for six years on Farr West’s Planning Commission.
Born in Sandy, Utah, Ricky graduated from Alta High School, and then with honors from Brigham Young University with a Master’s degree in Accounting. He worked for seven years as an information systems auditor and consultant for Price Waterhouse in Los Angeles and Warsaw, Poland. He worked as a business analyst and project manager for Parametric Technology Corp. in Munich, Germany and Boston. In 2002, he established, ran, and taught at a private K-12 school in Ogden, later becoming CFO and COO of a chain of private schools throughout the western U.S. He worked as a financial analyst for Jetway in Ogden for five years before being elected as Clerk/Auditor in 2010.
Ricky was honored by his fellow county auditors as Utah’s 2013 Auditor of the Year and 2015 Clerk of the Year. He earned his Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license in 1997 and his Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) license in 1998. He serves in the following organizations:
- Chair, County Utah Clerk’s Legislative Policy Committee
- Treasurer/Secretary, Utah County Clerk and Auditor Association
- Appointed member of the Governor’s Private Activity Bond Authority Board
- Member, Executive Board, Ogden-Weber Chamber of Commerce
- Chair, Leadership Northern Utah (LNU) Academy, sponsored by the Chamber
- Treasurer and Elections Administration Chair of the National Association of County Recorders, Election Officials, and Clerks (NACRC)
- Member, Lieutenant Governor’s iVote Advisory Committee
- Invited member of a 15-person national Working Group for the EAC (Elections Assistance Commission) and NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology)
- Presenter at national conferences in Washington DC and Vail, CO on Internet Voting, and in Minneapolis on establishing an Internal Audit function
- Member, Budget Committee and Retirement Investment Committee for Utah Association of Counties
- Member, Constitution Day Committee
- Scoutmaster, Boy Scout Troop 63
Although learning about and promoting principles of good government are among his favorite activities, Ricky also enjoys hiking, racquetball, reading, public speaking, writing, singing, running, theatre, indoor surfing at the Flowrider in Ogden, teaching, skiing, playing various musical instruments, and rough-housing with his kids and pets. He served as a missionary for the LDS church in France, Belgium and Luxembourg, and still speaks French, albeit slowly and with a funny accent.
Ricky has a wonderful wife, Tiffany, who he thinks is beautiful, smart, funny, talented, caring, and loving (and this is the short list!), and five fantastic children, from age 15 to 24, and currently lives in Ogden.