Community Emergency Response Team
Basic CERT Training Outline
The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training program provides the community with information about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and educates them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire response, light search and rescue, team organization, disaster psychology and disaster medical operations. The training is divided into two sections: an on-line portion and a classroom hands-on portion. See the flyer attached here for information on our upcoming course including dates and location.
During the on-line portion of the training, participants will learn basic disaster preparedness concepts and will review lectures regarding basic disaster response skills including how to size-up and safely extinguish fires, how to conduct light search and rescue operations including victim extrication, how to organize your team during an emergency situation, and disaster medical operations. This on-line portion is provided through the University of Utah website. Visit their CERT page for more information regarding the online training portion here. Or Click Here to go directly to the registration page for the online class.
Make sure that once you complete the on-line course you print your certificate and bring it to the first night of the in-person class!
In Class / Hands On
Participants will take the knowledge that they learn during the on-line portion and use it in the classroom for hands-on activities. Instructors from the fire dept will demonstrate and walk participants through the skills that they have learned about during the on-line portion of the training. The in-class training will be one night a week for four weeks.CERT Class Registration
You may have already registered on our Weber County CERT website for this training. But if not, please click here.
The on-line training is free but is to be followed up by an in-person, hands-on, class room practical skills application with instructors. There is a fee associated with the hands-on portion of the course in the amount of $35.00 which helps to cover the cost of your personal protective equipment and other class expenses.
If you have any questions, please contact your city emergency manager or CERT Coordinator. You can also contact the Weber County Council Chair Jeff Stark at email@example.com or you can contact Weber County Emergency Management at 801-778-6682 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Online Lecture Portion of your training
- Estimated Time = 9 hours
- Access it on your mobile device or computer. Use your email address for your username
- Complete it at your pace and at your convenience. Course progress will be saved and can be resumed later. You will receive a link to the online portion of your training once you register so that you can return to the training page at your leisure. Must be completed before the second evening of the class. Bring your certificate of completion to the class.
In class, hands on, practical portion of your training
- Estimated Time = 12 hrs (one night a week for four weeks)
- Date and Time: April 20, 27, and May 4, 11, 6-9 p.m.
- Location: Weber County Sheriff's Warehouse and Training Facility, 1400 Depot Drive, Ogden, Utah 84404, (immediately west of the Sheriff's Office).
- Must attend all days and times in order to receive final certificate of course completion